Building on the impact and success of Light up Leicester 2020, Leicester City Council’s Festivals & Events Department in collaboration with Creative Producers ArtReach & BID Leicester, will once again stage Light up Leicester in 2022. This major city-wide illuminated event features large scale international work, national touring work, and new (co)commissions. Over 4 days in March 2022 we will bring a series of illuminated installations to multiple sites across Leicester City Centre to captivate 60,000+ attendees, raise the profile of the city and encourage exploration and excitement in the city.
For the delivery of the project, we are looking for a local Leicester or Midlands based production team to oversee and deliver the install, live and derig phases of Light up Leicester 2022. We are seeking a team of local talent that can provide all production team requirements that our delivery schedule, artwork and footprint dictate as well as contribute to the safe and responsible delivery of our multi-site, inclusive and ambitious event.
We would like to hear from Production companies who have experience of working on large, high-profile events or with arts-led companies with the relevant skills and a dynamic team. The LUL team will provide all the finalised logistics, production schedules, contacts and permissions where required.
The type of work includes, but is not limited to:
- Live event production in a variety of outdoor city centre locations
- Management of multiple format artistic installations, including an understanding of temporary event power
- Leading and staffing loading/unloading, set up and constructing pre-fabricated artworks (materials unknown) usually to provided instructions
- Installation of event infrastructure including fencing, power, ramping, lighting, signage
- Following and deploying build teams where necessary to cover multiple install sites
- Working with clients and artists or towards their specifications and within the public realm
- Working in accordance with the Event Management Plan and with good knowledge of and practices in line with Health & Safety procedures
We are looking for a flexible team that have the capabilities to provide staffing that includes: crew bosses, additional crew members or stage hands, plant drivers where necessary, H&S training, personal PPE, Risk Assessments, vehicles where required, production equipment and tools. We expect a team could range from 4 to 12 members, depending on the schedule.
We expect a crew that will work to the highest standards of safety, punctuality, and customer service. They must be willing to work with LUL and our partners to be accommodating in any responses to changes, measures, timings etc. You must be available to attend meetings and site visits where necessary.
Companies must be able to demonstrate:
- Independent ability to work towards a delivery schedule across multiple sites and restrictions and to a specific deadline
- Familiarity with working and maintaining communication across multiple sites simultaneously
- Safe working practices, particularly within open public spaces
- Experience identifying and obtaining relevant licenses and site access permissions
- Experience of on-site sub-contractor management i.e. facilities and technicians
- Confidence in build and time management
- A good approach to environmental responsibility, and willingness to adhere to ours
Light up Leicester is planned to run between 3rd – 6th March 2022 with build and derig either side of these live event dates (28th February – 9th March).
Please respond to the brief above with a short proposal (maximum 1000 words) and company CV which demonstrates how you meet the requirements of the role.
We also ask that you supply:
- Copy of Public and Employers Liability Insurance
- Information on your previous projects that demonstrate your credentials – this could be a business CV
- An indication of rates of pay or fees
- Contact details for two referees
Please send applications with the heading “Light Up Leicester Production Tender Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 on Wednesday January 5th 2022.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be held over Zoom on the week commencing January 10th.
*Images by Chris Patrick Photography.